of St. Michael's
Union City, Hudson County
Fathers were important in establishing parishes in Jersey City, Gutenburg
as well as in West Hoboken which was the original name of Union City.
This is the description of St. Michael's from the Passionists' website.
Michael's Monastery and Church have long been a landmark on the New
skyline. In 1861, at the invitation of Bishop James R. Bayley
of Newark, Passionists began ministering in the diocese. By 1864 they
built St. Michael's Monastery in West Hoboken ("Union City" since
1925). Additions followed in 1914, 1929, and 1944. The domed church
was built in 1875 and rebuilt after a 1934 fire. Numerous parishes
in Hudson County were founded and staffed by the Passionists. St.
Michael's Monastery served as provincial house, seminary, residence for
priests and brothers, and as a center for novena devotions, serving
Irish, German, Italian, and Spanish-speaking Catholics. Due to lack
of finances and personnel, the entire complex was closed in 1981. After
the ravages of a 1994 fire, the monastery structure was razed and replaced
by moderate-income housing units, while the church became home to a
community of Korean Presbyterians.
monastery was completely destroyed in a fire in 1934, and only
the stout walls of the church were left. It was rebuilt the following
year, but closed in 1981, then sold to the Hudson Presbyterian