The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Vienna Methodist Episcopal Church
Vienna, Warren County


The congregation was organized in 1810 as the New Jerusalem church, and not long after was renamed the Pequest Methodist Episcopal church. This fine frame building was erected in 1854, when it became known by its present name. It has some Greek Revival elements mixed with the Gothic windows, but the proportions are good and it's a fine example of a mid-century rural church.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel