The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Mount Pisgah African Methodist Episcopal Church
Washington, Warren County



The AME congregation was organized in 1860, by which time slavery had disappeared in the state, and may have been long gone in Warren County, as there never were many slaves here to begin with. This is the only black church in the county.
     The building is a simple one, but with a board-and-batten exterior, which still exists on the main body of the building. The entry vestibule is newer than the rest of the church, which was erected on North Lincoln Street between 1879-1882. It sits right at the northern edge of town, which is where the black churches, as well as the early Catholic and Methodist churches usually had to build, as no "respectable" people would have sold them a building lot in the heart of town.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2003 Frank L. Greenagel