authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Rockaway Reformed Church at Whitehouse Station
Readington Township, Hunterdon County
Like the Reformed church in Lebanon, the Presbyterian church in Fairmont
and the Lutheran church in Oldwick, this congregation can trace its
inception to a German Reformed church in the area where services were
held between 1731 and 1749. It was a log church located in Potterstown,
then referred to as Rockaway, a couple of miles west of the present
church. When those several congregations coalesced into the Lutheran
church in Oldwick, no services were held in this area until 1792 when
a group of Dutch families determined to start a Dutch Reformed church.
They built their first church in 1808 and their second in 1850. This,
the third Rockaway Reformed church, was built about 1898 of local stone
in another variation of the Akron Plan. None of the three were built
on the same site but all three were probably built almost within sight
of each other.